Florida State of Emergency: 5 Steps to Prepare Your Home for Hurricane Matthew
Its been 12 years since Central Floridians were socked with 4 devastating hurricanes: Charley, Frances, Ivan and Jeanne. Charley was the first of these storms to hit Orlando, and the worst to hit Florida since Andrew in 1992. When hurricane Charley made landfall as a category 4, winds got up to 150 mph causing $15 billion in damage. Driving wind and rain flooded homes across the state of Florida.
Once again, Florida is in a State of Emergency and SERVPRO of Winter Park is ready. When the storm rolls In, we roll out. Just as we have been getting ready for the tropical cyclone here in our office, its equally important for you to protect your home.
How to Prepare Your Home for Hurricane Matthew:
- Internet may be out. Searching for phone numbers online may not be an option. Before the storm strikes, make sure all of your emergency contact numbers are listed on paper and posted in a visible place where everyone can see. This includes your insurance agency’s phone number, your policy number and your emergency restoration service provider, SERVPRO of Winter Park: 407-678-5391.
- Put together a good first aid kit, including bandages, tape, scissors, antibiotic cream, aspirin and an antiseptic wash in the event that water supplies become tainted. In addition, have any and all prescriptions filled, in the case your pharmacy might be closed for days or weeks.
- Stockpile hurricane supplies such as canned and dried food, bottled water, batteries, flashlights, candles, matches, propane for gas grills and ice.
- Place sandbags around the perimeter of your home, especially if your house is in low lying or flood zone areas.
- Keep heavy duty plastic and tarps handy along with durable tape, nails and a hammer. If any side of your home is exposed to the elements, consider covering windows with plywood.
Once again its time to hunker down, stay inside and stay tuned to your local news station for updates on the hurricane. As always, you can depend on your neighborhood family restoration business, SERVPRO of Winter Park. We are here for you to help make it like it never even happened!